Losing muscle, unfortunately, gets easier as you grow older. Despite the fact that aging is inevitable, who’s to say losing muscle is? Whether you are young or old, testosterone boosters can be a great supplement to your workouts in order to pack on the muscle quickly.
Top Test Boosters for Building Muscle:
For ages 40 and under – TestoFuel
TestoFuel is great for guys under 40 because it’s not solely focused on boosting testosterone, but also will enhance physical performance. It has some of our notable testosterone boosters as well as ingredients Ginseng and Fenugreek to protect us from stress and help build muscle.
- Solid ingredients for testosterone
- Smart herbal choices for gym training
- Great all-around men’s supplement
- Regularly dosed
- Lacks anti-estrogen activity since DAA boosts all sex hormones.
For ages 40+ – Prime Male
Prime Male is our prime choice for men looking to spike testosterone production after crossing the big 4-0. It’s our first pick when it comes to boosting testosterone, and a lot of those reasons are due to its potent ingredients and synergistic formula.
- Potent T-boosting ingredients
- Focused on Testosterone
- Improved bioavailability
- Good dosage levels
- Won’t contribute to massive muscle gains – use TestoFuel if that is want you want.
Budget option – Testogen
Testofuel is for the young, and Prime Male is for the old. Both are great at what they’re made to do, but both are not exactly wallet-friendly. In comes Testogen, our favorite budget testosterone boosting supplement. It doesn’t have much in the way of muscle building compared to TestoFuel and is weaker in testosterone-boosting potency compared to Prime Male, but Testogen is a lot more affordable than both.
- Really cost-effective
- Decent formula for the price
- Good amount of DAA
- Not much for muscle
- Not much for testosterone either
- Needs a lot more Vitamin D
What is Testosterone?
When talking about testosterone, we often find it synonymous to being the male hormone. Truth be told, testosterone is largely responsible for turning a puny boy into a strong man and we’re not just saying that to sound awesome. Testosterone is involved in a lot of the physical changes we experience when he hit puberty such as:
- Deeper voice;
- Increased facial and body hair growth;
- A good height boost and;
- A larger penis and testes.
After we become fully matured, testosterone becomes responsible for our libido, erectile function, sexual prowess, fat distribution, better bone density, healthier brain function, and muscle mass.
Since being high in testosterone sounds all perfect, being low in this hormone can spell disaster for a lot of men, especially those beyond their 30s. Low testosterone levels are linked to erectile dysfunction, moodiness, unhealthy weight gain, loss of libido, and muscle atrophy.
Testosterone and Muscle Growth
The big question is: What does testosterone have to do with building muscle?
Research has shown testosterone enhances muscle hypertrophy by stimulating the muscle protein synthesis rate or in layman’s terms; it boosts our body’s ability to weave proteins together and turn them into muscle fiber. Having adequate levels of testosterone even helps us decrease fat mass which in turn makes it easier for us to build muscle. Even studies that make use of testosterone replacement therapy shows an abrupt increase in muscle growth and is much more evident in higher doses.
With that said, sustaining healthy levels of testosterone in your 30s, 40s, or even 50s can help maintain your body’s ability to build muscle, and make it comparable to those who are younger.
Build Muscle to Boost Testosterone
Testosterone alone is not enough to build muscle. If it were that easy, the testosterone replacement therapy industry would probably be the richest industry in the modern world. No, you still have to lift some hard iron if you want to build muscle. In doing so, your augmenting your body’s testosterone-producing mechanisms.
The best way to boost testosterone through exercise is by doing some heavy lifting, but you don’t have to do a hardcore workout program if you’re just aiming to sustain testosterone levels. Research shows you can lift weights once a week and you will experience a huge jump in testosterone levels. In one study, men utilized the Nautilus cardio equipment followed by total muscle group exercises. They only used three sets of 8 to 10 repetitions. The result was an huge spike in total testosterone levels.
The key is to focus on compound movements. We’re talking about exercises that engage a lot of muscles at once such as the squat, deadlift, and bench press. Not only will this help build muscle, but engaging multiple muscles at once will burn the most calories and help lean you out. Two birds with one stone!
Supplements For Boosting Testosterone
Granted there are plenty of supplements out there that says they can help boost testosterone and muscle growth, by the end of the day what matters is the ingredients used. Below are some of the ingredients you want to keep an eye out when choosing the best testosterone booster for bulking:
- D-Aspartic Acid. An amino acid shown to spike testosterone levels by 42% in only 12 days. The same study also showed it capable of boosting Luteinizing Hormone, a testosterone-support hormone, by 33%.
- Magnesium. Magnesium is not just a mineral that people need, but also a helpful testosterone booster that neutralizes the SHGB hormone that binds to testosterone and renders it useless. The result is more bioavailable testosterone.
- Vitamin D. One study of overweight men found supplementing vitamin D3 elevated free, bioactive and total testosterone levels, suggesting big masculine health potential.
- Zinc. Zinc is the manliest mineral ever. It’s one of the primary building blocks building blocks for testosterone synthesis, promotes testosterone production, and even helps fight off prolactin, a hormone that can destroy testosterone.
- Oyster Extract. Aside from being delectable, oysters are known to contain a lot of zinc. If you already have a zinc supplement, and you definitely should, you can still enjoy oysters for their taste and aphrodisiac properties.
- Ginseng. Ginseng helps with stress. If you lower stress, you lower the stress hormone cortisol. Since cortisol drops testosterone levels, ginseng’s anti-stress benefit can help sustain healthy testosterone levels.